In this episode, we’re kicking off our “Alternative Destinations” series, where we showcase lesser traveled and lesser known locations that alternative travelers should consider!
Today, we’re talking all about Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina, where we spent 3 months last fall. This Balkan city is infamous for the conflict and siege in the early 90s (if you don’t know what we’re talking about, don’t worry – we’ll get into that in the episode), but what’s it really like to spend some time there?
We cover everything from the history, culture, food, and things to do in Sarajevo, and more. We also reflect on why it’s important to consider Sarajevo’s past in light of current nationalist sentiments and the current pandemic.
NOTE: Due to the ongoing pandemic, we strongly discourage unnecessary international travel at this time. This episode is intended for future travel inspiration and vicarious travel while we are all still staying safe at home.
Subscribe and listen to The House Sitting Travel Podcast below or on your favorite podcast app. Just search House Sitting Travel in your app of choice or click these links: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
- What we were doing in Sarajevo and why we were there for so long
- A brief history of Sarajevo and how that’s shaped the city today (including the influence of the Ottoman Empire, the siego, and more)
- The perception of Sarajevo today
- Is Sarajevo safe?
- The three major ethnic groups of the Bosnia and the Balkans in general
- What’s so special about Bosnia from a religious context
- How the geography of the city affects it
- Special random and surprising fun facts about Sarajevo
- Sarajevo’s dark history
- Parallels to what happened in Sarajevo and the pandemic
- Our daily life living in Sarajevo
- Things to do in Sarajevo (which we recommend and which we don’t)
- Bosnian food and our favorite place to eat
- Why you should visit
- Much more!
Links + Resources Mentioned
- Logavina Street: Life and Death in a Sarajevo Neighborhood by Barbara Demick
- Baščaršija – Old Town Sarajevo that Sam couldn’t pronounce!
- Kedi – the documentary on cats in Istanbul
- Vegan Guide to Sarajevo
- Svrzo’s House (Merchant House from 18th-19th century)
- Sarajevo Walking Tours