Welcome to episode 3! In this episode, we share our transitions to veganism. These are stories that we haven’t shared because our stories are so different and it’s hard to convey that in a blog post. We are so excited to share our experiences on becoming vegan as a fun conversation!
First, Veren shares his story, which is very different from Sam’s! He talks about how practicing karate caused him to start eating a more plant-based diet. He experimented with raw veganism for a while and talks about what he ate, how he felt, and the physical changes that he experienced.
Next, Sam talks about her experience transitioning to veganism. She shares how instrumental living in Spain and walking the Camino de Santiago was to her vegan journey. She also talks about how her stubbornness led to quitting dairy for good, what was hard about the transition, and more.
Then, we share how we joined forces and leveled up in our veganism together. We talk about what it was like living in Spain as vegans and especially how the social culture in Spain is related to our vegan experience there. Before we moved to Spain, everyone asked if we were going to continue being vegan while living in Madrid. Spoiler alert: we did! We also share how our attitude and relationship with food and eating changed since we became vegan.
Listen right below or in your favorite podcast app!
Subscribe and listen to The House Sitting Travel Podcast below or on your favorite podcast app. Just search House Sitting Travel in your app of choice or click these links: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
In this episode, we’ll talk about:
- The experiences that caused us (separately) each to go vegan
- Whether we went vegan overnight
- Veren’s experience with raw veganism
- Our thoughts on a whole foods, plant based diet
- The importance of internal motivation when going vegan (or making any big life change)
- How fitness played a role in both of our transitions
- The biggest obstacle that most people experience when going vegan
- The role that Spain played in our vegan journey
- The vegan scene in Spain
- How (and where) we became even more vegan
- How we feel about meat and dairy replacements
- What we think about reducetarianism
- What the future of veganism might look like
- Some advice for those that want to go vegan
Resources and Links Mentioned in the Episode
Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows – Book by Melanie Joy
The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
Vegan Advocacy Training led by Melanie Joy and Tobias Leenaert (workshop that Veren attended in Madrid – they host workshops globally)