Welcome to episode 4! In this episode, we debunk common house sitting myths. These are misconceptions that we hear again and again when talking to prospective house sitters about house sitting.
We’d wager a guess that you’re harboring one of these misconceptions, which might be hurting your chances of having a happy and successful house sitting journey. That’s why it’s important to shift your mindset about how you think about house sitting.
One of the biggest misconceptions concerns how house sitting compares to booking accommodation. We’ll talk about why the many ways which this is problematic and how to think about house sitting.
We’ll discuss how money comes into exchange-based house sitting. Money does enter into the equation in a few ways, which is why its essential that if you truly don’t have any money in the bank, you might need to reconsider whether house sitting is actually an option.
We’ll also talk about why it is so important to not think of house sitting as a free vacation. House sitting is often marketed in news articles or social media as a way to travel to glamorous locations for free. We talk about why this is a very problematic way to think about house sitting.
Listen right below or in your favorite podcast app!
[NOTE: We recorded this episode before the travel shutdowns due to COVID-19. We are not currently house sitting and do not recommend starting your house sitting journey now. With no one traveling, there are virtually no house sits. We hope this provides guidance and inspiration for when we can all travel and house sit in the future!]
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- Why it’s important to learn these house sitting myths
- Why you won’t be a successful house sitter if you believe these misconceptions
- How believing these misconceptions will put you at a disadvantage
- How house sitting compares to booking a hotel or Airbnb
- Why flexibility is important in house sitting
- What kinds of locations are competitive
- The dos and don’t of a successful house sitting
- Why taking your time is important when you decide to start house sitting
- Why perseverance is key
- How you might be setting yourself up for disappointment
- How money comes into exchange-based house sitting
- The line that we’ll never cross in a house sitting arrangement
- Why house sitting isn’t a free vacation
- Who should (and shouldn’t) house sit
- The non-negotiable that every successful house sitter must have
- The problems that might arise as the house sitting community grows
- Why were so passionate about teaching and sharing the principles of happy house sitting