This episode is all about Greensboro, North Carolina. Did you know that the Civil Rights Sit-In movement of non-violent protest started in Greensboro? Or that you can still visit where it all started at the International Civil Rights Museum, located in the heart of Greensboro? With the renewed resurgence of the Black Lives Matter Movement, it’s more important than ever to understand Black history in the U.S. so that we can better understand where the nation is today. One of the best ways to do that is to learn from pivotal moments in Civil Rights history, like the Sit-In Movement.
We also discuss other Greensboro claims to fame, as well as fun things to do there (including food, drink, culture, art, and more). Join us for future travel inspiration or just some armchair virtual travel!
This is another episode in our Alternative Destinations series, where we highlight lesser known places that are worth your visit as an alternative traveler!
Subscribe and listen to The House Sitting Travel Podcast below or on your favorite podcast app. Just search House Sitting Travel in your app of choice or click these links: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
And now, onto the blog post!
In This Episode:
- Why we ended up in Greensboro, North Carolina and for how long
- Greensboro history, geography, etc.
- Greensboro’s role in the Revolutionary War
- 19th + 20th Century Greensboro and industry
- Greensboro’s role in the Sit-In Civil Rights Movement
- Visiting The International Civil Rights Museum
- Things to do in Greensboro: The Must Sees for your visit!
- Culture, music, and the arts in Greensboro
- Food and drink in Greensboro
- much more!
Links + Resources Mentioned:
- Overtourism episode
- Guildford Courthouse National Military Park (Revolutionary War site)
- Greensboro Sit-Ins
- Civil Rights Timeline in Greensboro
- International Civil Rights Center and Museum
- Greensboro Historical Museum
- February One: The Story of the Greensboro Four (PBS documentary)
- I’m Not Your Negro Documentary (Netflix)
- Dharma Farm Animal Refuge
- Vegan Guide to Greensboro, NC
- O Henry Hotel (sustainable hotel where we watched free jazz)